Central Kitsap School District deploys Instructional Technology to enhance the creative problem solving, collaboration, and 21st century skills that students will need as contributing citizens in the global community. In an effort to increase access to those 21st century skills, Central Kitsap High School is implementing this BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program for all students at CKHS.
The BYOD program will allow students to bring personal devices and connect them to the CKSD network to be used for instructional purposes when allowed by the classroom teachers. Students who choose to participate in the BYOD program must follow the Student Use of Technology Agreement and the Electronics Policy and its BYOD provisions. This set of guidelines is intended to create a framework for use.
CKSD and CKHS provide the wireless infrastructure for student use on the campus. It is filtered, internet access just like logging onto any CKHS machine. The use of personal devices by students is optional, and students who do not participate in the BYOD program will not be penalized and alternate modes of participation will be made available by instructors as needed. An important component of BYOD is education about appropriate online behaviors. CKHS students receive instruction about appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms and cyberbullying awareness and response each school year. In addition to the rules outlined in these guidelines, students will be expected to comply with all class and school rules while using personal devices.
For the purpose of this program, the word “devices” will include: laptops, cell phones, smart phones, iPads, iPods, and tablets. Gaming devices, although not disallowed during non-instructional time, may not be connected to the wireless internet at any time.
- Students participating in the BYOD program must adhere to the provisions in the Student Handbook, Electronic Devices Policy, and the CKSD Rights and Responsibilities provisions
- Each teacher has the discretion to allow and regulate the use of personal devices in the classroom and on specific projects.
- Devices may only be used in classrooms when allowed by the teacher.
- Approved devices must be in silent mode and out of sight unless otherwise allowed by a teacher.
- Devices may not be used to cheat on assignments or tests, or for non-instructional purposes (such as making personal phone calls and text/instant messaging). Strict discipline will follow for all who violate this rule.
- Students may not use devices to record, transmit or post photographic images or video of a person, or persons on campus during school activities and/or hours, unless otherwise allowed by a teacher.
- Devices may only be used to access files on computer or Internet sites which are relevant to the classroom curriculum.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Devices
Each user is responsible for his/her own digital property, and should treat it and use it responsibly and appropriately. CKHS and CKSD take no responsibility for stolen, lost, or damaged devices, including lost or corrupted data on those devices while on school property, and will not be liable for the replacement or repair of any personal device. Students are responsible for securing their personal devices and are encouraged to have their name on the outside of the device. Please check with your homeowner’s policy regarding coverage of personal electronic devices, as many insurance policies can cover loss or damage.
CKHS and CKSD cannot be held responsible for any possible device charges to your account that might be incurred during approved school-related use. Wireless access will be provided through the CKSD Staff and Students network. Any data and/or SMS/MMS charges will not be reimbursed by CKHS or CKSD.
Users should strive to maintain appropriate bandwidth for school-related work and communications by using the Internet responsibly. All non-school owned devices will use the CKHS Staff and Students wireless network to access the Internet. We cannot guarantee nor troubleshoot connectivity or quality of connection with personal devices.
Students and Parents/Guardians acknowledge that:
- The school's network filters will be applied to a device’s connection to the Internet and any attempt to bypass the network filters is prohibited.
- Students are prohibited from:
- Bringing a device on premises that infects the network with a Virus, Trojan, or program designed to damage, alter, destroy, or provide access to unauthorized data or information, and
- Processing or accessing information on school property related to “hacking”, altering, or bypassing network security policies.
- CKHS and CKSD are authorized to collect and examine any device that is suspected of causing technology problems or was the source of an attack or virus infection, or is suspected of being used in contravention to established guidelines and policies.
- Printing from personal laptops will not be possible at school. Save your work to another storage device and print elsewhere.
- Personal devices must be charged prior to school and run on battery power while at school.
- The campus principal and the Technology Committee Members will make the final determination of what is considered to be inappropriate use of the CKSD computer network. The campus principal may suspend an account or network access at any time. In addition, the administration, faculty, and staff of CKHS may request a user’s account be reviewed at any time if inappropriate use is suspected.